Spring Ahead! March Landscape Maintenance
It’s March and that means spring is right around the corner. The days are getting longer, the temperatures are climbing, the sun is out and so are we! This time of year is special in Myrtle Beach. For residents who live in coastal South Carolina spring means being outside instead of inside like we do most of the winter. It’s like a magic window of blue skies, no bugs and landscaping starting to awaken from a long dormant winter. Each month brings something different for your lawn and garden, with that said we’ve designed a March Landscape Maintenance check list for you.
- Trees – dead branches or branches which overhang your roof or a neighbors yard
- Shrubs- overgrown, blocking windows or entry ways. In addition to curb appeal this issue can cause security concerns. You want to make sure you can see anyone lurking near your entryways or windows.
- Walk the perimeter of your home and see if there are any low areas along the foundation. If so, they should be filled with compacted soil. Water can pool here from spring rains and cause damage to the foundation. Additionally, insects love to breed in stagnant water.
- Hoses – check for dry rot or any other damage
- Outdoor faucets – if you can stop the water flow by covering the faucet with your finger it may point to damage in the pipes
- Irrigation – turn it on to insure there has been no damage due to freezing temps
- Landscape lighting – inspect electrical lines and sockets for any fraying or loose connections
- Outdoor kitchens – inspect gas, water and electric sources for any damage
- Gutters – loose, sagging or clogged gutters can cause damage to your home and windows. Clogged gutters can cause overflow. Wet leaves are another breeding ground for bug
Beach Landscaping is ready to help you get your home ready for the return of outdoor living! We have trusted companies that we can refer you to for issues, i.e. gas or electrical lines that are out of our expertise.